Packaging quality, assistance.

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed May 9 12:34:14 UTC 2007

On 09.05.2007 14:12, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 07:05 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
> I hate to bring it up again, because I'm sure it'll make someone cry...

:-)

> [...]
> Perhaps we just need a way to encourage and help packagers in need of
> assistance to get in touch with others who can help them? A kind of
> 'packaging SWAT team'? :)

That's what we *IMHO* have "Packaging SIGs" for - see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/

Quoting:
----
=== General ===
Comps
Games
GNOME
KDE
Laptop
Mono
Music and Media Production
Objective CAML (OCaml)
Perl
PHP
Python
QA
Ruby
Scientific and Technical
Server Tools
VoIP
Embedded Systems Development

=== Arch specific ===

x86-64 (sometimes also named x64, AMD64, EM64T, x86_64, ia32e)
PPC/PPC64
----

But as you are not aware of it and not part of the ppc/ppc64 SIG ;-) it
seems to me we need to document the working areas of those SIGs better
and encourage packagers to ask those SIGs for help when they need them
(if the SIGs do such work).

> I'm not sure how it would work best -- perhaps an 'assistance required'
> tracker bug which the 'hard' bug can be made to block? Or just a mailing
> list where assistance can be solicited?

Not ever more mailing lists please. We have to much of them IMHO already.

> [...]

CU
thl