Legality of Fedora in production environment

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Fri May 11 15:59:21 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 09:33 -0600, Frederick F. Kautz IV wrote:
> I would also highly recommend contacting the FSF on this matter. Perhaps
> they can make a recommendation on what action should be taken. We can
> definitely do things to help on our side, such as the document proposed by
> Benjamin Kosnik. However, this affects all open source software and not
> just Fedora. Here is the e-mail address for contacting FSF on this issue:
>
> licensing at fsf.org
>
> Hopefully, printing/signing the GPL (or whatever license is used) will
> suffice. If this is the case, we may be able to write a small
> script/application included in Fedora that scans the License field on
> installed RPMs to and generates a list of what licenses apply and a
> verbose flag that also specifies what software falls under each license.

I don't think you need each license printed, not even the GPL.
This is the police wondering if the software on the PC has been legally
obtained.

We probably just need a document clearly written, with the right legal
words for Russia, where Fedora grants the user the right to use the
distribution as a whole on any number of machines, for an unlimited
time, and includes grants to install updates _and_ upgrades as well
under the same terms.

Have the same document available on a clearly recognizable Fedora domain
name, so that you can show the police that it is not a forged document,
and on the site only may be have another page with the detailed set of
licenses for the picky ones.

Simo.