Nautilus, MIME and .desktop files

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat May 12 23:05:28 UTC 2007

Rick L Vinyard Jr <rvinyard <at> cs.nmsu.edu> writes:
> I'm having a problem getting nautilus to recognize a xournal PDF
> annotation file. I have the MIME type specified in the .desktop file and
> thought I had all the entries in the spec to install the desktop file
> and update the MIME database.

You need a shared-mime-info entry for the MIME type. You also need a .desktop
file for the MIME type for KDE 3 (KDE 4 (>=3.90.1) uses shared-mime-info, but
KDE 3 used its own older MIME type system).

You also need icons with the correct names (gnome-mime-application-x-xoj for
GNOME, application-x-xoj for KDE 4, and any name specified in the MIME
type .desktop file (I recommend just using application-x-xoj there to avoid yet
another symlink) for KDE 3), which should be installed according to the icon
theme spec.

For an example, see:
http://tigcc-linux.cvs.sourceforge.net/tigcc-linux/ktigcc/fedora/ktigcc.spec?revision=1.23.2.1&view=markup

        Kevin Kofler