Ext4 for F7

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon May 14 15:37:32 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 08:30:25PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
 > On Saturday 12 May 2007 19:46:41 Chris Brown wrote:
 > > Ext4 appears to be enabled in the latest kernels - will anaconda support it
 > > in the same way as it unofficially supports jfs? As in users need to type
 > > 'linux ext4' at the prompt to enable to option during install. Or are we
 > > looking at F8? Sorry if this has been asked already but if the above is not
 > > the case I'd be interested to know why. Reports are that it is now quite
 > > stable... :)
 >
 > I'd hope F8.  I attended an ext4 talk at the RH Summit last week and based on
 > information gathered there I wouldn't expect ext4 to be remotely safe to use
 > for a while.  It should be there for you to create test file systems and play
 > around with it, but I don't think it would be prudent to allow anaconda to
 > throw it into the mix.

It won't be in *any* release until it loses its 'dev' moniker upstream.
I'll turn it back on in rawhide after F7 is out, with the usual caveats wrt
your fs's being accessable with future versions of ext4dev.

So far the only real purpose of using ext4 is extents & >32bit blocknrs, which
unless you have really large filesystems, isn't really useful anyway.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk