Legality of Fedora in production environment

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 14 20:36:44 UTC 2007

Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 01:48 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Simo Sorce wrote:
>>
>>> Now you can, of course , ask them to trust licenses written for US
>>> Common Law and let them hope they apply cleanly in their legal system.
>>> But then, they have all the rights to decline the request.
>> Right. We then decline to include their software in Fedora. Do you see
>> another way to deal with this without involving Red Hat legal?
>
> We shouldn't abuse Red Hat legal, but discarding the option a priori
> seem a bit hard to me.
> What you are implying is that Fedora is an "English" only distribution.
> Well, while I have no problems with English, this seem a bit
> discriminatory and I don't like it.

Nope. I have been a translator before myself. That's far from what I am
saying. What I am saying that is the Red Hat is a US based legal entity
for Fedora and English is mandated as the language for legal
communication in that region.

Even having a single software in a license that we can't understand
legally is not good for us to enforce anything or avoid risks. It is not
a question of pragmatism, discrimination of openness.

Rahul