hard disk power down (was: Re: PowerTOP tool released; time to fix the wasted laptop power on fedora?)

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue May 15 23:48:32 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 19:24 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Just wondering: does Fedora spin down the hard disk by default? It
> doesn't afaics and it's not easily user-configurable either afaik.

I had laptop-mode installed back during FC6 devel, but a few months ago
(after acquiring a newer laptop with an again functional battery...) I
noticed it had disappeared. Couldn't find it anywhere. It apparently
split off into an independent project:

http://www.samwel.tk/laptop_mode/laptop_mode

And the only Fedora package for it is in Dries.

The hd in this thing is VERY loud for some reason, (Near death? SMART
claims its okay...) I tuned it up like so:

LM_BATT_MAX_LOST_WORK_SECONDS=600
LM_AC_MAX_LOST_WORK_SECONDS=3600
LM_AC_HD_IDLE_TIMEOUT_SECONDS=40
LM_BATT_HD_IDLE_TIMEOUT_SECONDS=20

Which is highly effective at keeping the drive spun down, pretty much
forever, when the system is idle and on AC, and the 20/40 spindown
timeout seems to be just enough to prevent obnoxious yo-yoing.

Now only if Galeon wouldn't constantly keep the drive spun up...
(killall -STOP is my friend...)