random thoughts on software installation

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Thu May 17 18:37:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 14:34 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> This is a fundamentally broken assumption.  Multiple packages are
> required because packages can and do depend on other packages.  Even
> things like python-paramiko, etc.

Sure, I guess I didn't mean transaction in the techncial sense but more
like how it's exposed in the interface; i.e. that you don't need to take
the current approach that pirut does where you click on a bunch of
things and then have an "apply" step and a confirm step, or yum's
install confirmation.  Could just start downloading and installing on
the first click.