random thoughts on software installation

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu May 17 18:43:51 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 14:37 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 14:34 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > This is a fundamentally broken assumption.  Multiple packages are
> > required because packages can and do depend on other packages.  Even
> > things like python-paramiko, etc.
>
> Sure, I guess I didn't mean transaction in the techncial sense but more
> like how it's exposed in the interface; i.e. that you don't need to take
> the current approach that pirut does where you click on a bunch of
> things and then have an "apply" step and a confirm step, or yum's
> install confirmation.  Could just start downloading and installing on
> the first click.

And then people complain you didn't tell them what was going to be
pulled in or why did this that or the other get installed or why did
something get _removed_ due to an obsoletes.

And the people who complain the most about this stuff are the exact
people you're trying to target with this interface (developers and
sysadmins).

Jeremy