Missing mass rebuild starting to show? (was: Looks like we need to rebuild some python packages.)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri May 18 01:45:12 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 04:04:45PM -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Looks like the bad time frame for python packages is about Dec 8 -> Jan
> 6.  python-enchant built on Jan 14 looks okay.
>
> Relevant python changelog:
>

> * Sat Jan 06 2007 Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> - 2.5.3-8
> - fix extensions to use shared libpython (#219564)
> - all 64bit platforms need the regex fix (#122304)
>
> Looks like all non-noarch python modules/apps built before 2.5.3-8
> should be rebuilt.

Yet another reason for doing a mass rebuild at the end of the
development cycle. Bad time windows of python, gcc and whatnot have
always existed and will continue to do so. Sometimes we notice,
sometimes not.

That's the price for piecing together a distribution from different
states of the environment from over 8 months. Oh and did I mention
that changes in glibc (chownat) *run-time* broke the fakeroot packages
as well? So much for glibc hasn't changed enough to warrant rebuilds.

Mass rebuilds for F7 are out of the question now, but they should
become mandatory for F8 again. Once towards the end of a development
cycle before freezing.

I just hope this isn't the tip of the iceberg, otherwise F7 will be
re-codenamed Titanic. :(
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net