random thoughts on software installation

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Fri May 18 02:38:51 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 15:45 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 21:03 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
> I'm just trying to think about the kinds of things we can build on top
> of those tools, especially when you consider targeting design for
> particular audiences or particular classes of package.  And also when
> you consider things like more tightly integrating Fedora-the-software
> with Fedora-the-website.
>
> Anyways I think my first example got too sidetracked by the specific
> details of transactions or whatever...skvidal is doing some work on
> search which should help in getting through Fedora's huge collection of
> developer stuff.

let's try this on yum 3.1.5 or higher grab:

http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/useful-scripts/search-sorting.py

and run:

python search-sorting.py term1 term2 term3 term4

it should return the top ten hits matching those terms in order from
most to least matches in a single package.

that's a start, at least.

-sv