RFC: Fedora 8 and KDE 4

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue May 22 12:06:46 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora <at> leemhuis.info> writes:
> There were some *discussion* about Fedora making a more strict releases
> cycle somewhat aligned to the Gnome release cycle. There was afaik no

Yuck, I'd sure hope the Fedora release schedule won't get aligned on the GNOME
schedule at the expense of KDE... :-(

If the schedule gets aligned on a desktop's schedule at all, I'd suggest
aligning it on the KDE 4 schedule, that brings major new features, it's not a
boring point release like GNOME. But the usual 6-month schedule gives
essentially the same result while staying desktop-neutral.

About slippage, from recent history, I'd think Fedora is at least as likely to
slip as KDE is, so I'd expect more slack between KDE 4.0's release and F8's,
not less. ;-) And if KDE really slips a lot more than Fedora (we have about a
month of slack time assuming a 6-month schedule), we can always include an RC
and upgrade later, as was done for OO.o 2, one or two GNOME releases, several
kernel releases etc.

As I already said in a previous discussion, it's a lot safer to include an RC
which got regular testing in Rawhide than to include a release at the last
moment with no testing of integration within Fedora. That's also why I want the
alpha in Rawhide ASAP. IMHO, we could wait for the feature freeze (June 1st) or
the beta (June 25), but not more. IMHO, we really need KDE 3.9?.* in test1.

        Kevin Kofler