RFC: Fedora 8 and KDE 4

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue May 22 23:26:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 23:17 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jeremy Katz <katzj <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > > Or we could install one of the 2 KDE versions into a custom prefix
> > > like /opt/kde3 or /opt/kde4, and in fact this is what my current kde*4
> > > packages do, but then good bye FHS.
> >
> > Yeah, that's not very ideal either.
>
> I have another idea: maybe we could:
[snip]
> I wonder how workable that idea would be.

Sounds like it might work.  And while /usr/kde3.5 (or whatever) is
somewhat breaking the FHS, it's definitely better than /opt[1] and
probably better than the alternative of conflicting packages.

Jeremy

[1] Since we try to really leave /opt for non-package-managed software.
For the silly people that use such stuff :-)