RFC: Fedora 8 and KDE 4

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed May 23 13:18:18 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 10:23 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Mer 23 mai 2007 09:33, Alexander Larsson a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 09:15 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> >> Please no. -devel conflicts are a lot better than adding new roots.
> >> And they shouldn't matter with a proper mock setup
> >
> > This is not true. They matter to users that want to build both kde3
> > and kde4 apps on their systems.
>
> I didn't say they didn't matter.
> I said that given other technical solutions exist, and given that
> breaking our filesystem organisation has its own drawbacks, -devel
> conflicts were probably not the worst solution.

Other solutions exist that work for you, or for me or for Alex.  Not for
the vast majority of users who still just download foo.tar.gz, untar it
and run ./configure ; make ; make install.  No mock.  No rpm.  Just
building software.  We _can't_ break the ability to do this just because
"other technical solutions exist".  And switching out which package you
have installed depending on what you're building really isn't a
"solution" so much as "ignoring the problem".

Jeremy