What happen to Wireshark?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed May 23 17:22:34 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 13:19:53 Steve Dickson wrote:
> wireshark (i.e. ethereal) has been part of the install since
> FC1... so I have to question, why was it even taken out
> of the comp file in the first place?? Was there mail sent
> out saying that wireshark will not no longer be on the cd?
> If so how long ago??? please send me the pointer...
> (I try not to miss these types of mails... :-\ )
>
> Now afar as being in the deep freeze... it comes down to
> the expectations of our community.. people who use
> these types of tools will expect them to be there...
> and if they are not, it will just give the Ubuntu
> people another stick to beats over the head with...
>
> We (imo) mistakenly removed a very useful tool.. one that
> is very well supported making it very stable and has been there
> since FC1 (at least tethereal, the non-gui one). and now we have
> a chance to correct that mistake.. before the final release..
> so lets correct this mistake instead of coming up with a number
> excuses of why we can't do this and basically making our
> community take an extra step for something they expect
> to be there...

Wireshark wasn't a <default> package, so users had to click on it anyway
(ooooh unfamiliar!).  What changes is that we're not including every package
known to man on the Fedora spin.  If you feel that strongly that Wireshark
should be used, propose a patch that makes it a <default> in whatever group
it's in.  The compose tools will pick it up.  But as mentioned, the size and
dep difference is pretty big, may overflow the Live images.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora