What happen to Wireshark?

Steve Dickson SteveD at redhat.com
Wed May 23 17:45:39 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 May 2007 13:19:53 Steve Dickson wrote:
>> wireshark (i.e. ethereal) has been part of the install since
>> FC1... so I have to question, why was it even taken out
>> of the comp file in the first place?? Was there mail sent
>> out saying that wireshark will not no longer be on the cd?
>> If so how long ago??? please send me the pointer...
>> (I try not to miss these types of mails... :-\ )
>>
>> Now afar as being in the deep freeze... it comes down to
>> the expectations of our community.. people who use
>> these types of tools will expect them to be there...
>> and if they are not, it will just give the Ubuntu
>> people another stick to beats over the head with...
>>
>> We (imo) mistakenly removed a very useful tool.. one that
>> is very well supported making it very stable and has been there
>> since FC1 (at least tethereal, the non-gui one). and now we have
>> a chance to correct that mistake.. before the final release..
>> so lets correct this mistake instead of coming up with a number
>> excuses of why we can't do this and basically making our
>> community take an extra step for something they expect
>> to be there...
>
> Wireshark wasn't a <default> package, so users had to click on it anyway
> (ooooh unfamiliar!).
Are you sure? I could be wrong... but I've also done a number of
installs over the years...  and I always seem to remember having
to choose the 'wireshark-gnome' package, not the 'wireshark'
package... because it was just there...

> What changes is that we're not including every package
> known to man on the Fedora spin.
I don't understand this...

> If you feel that strongly that Wireshark should be used,
I feel strongly that Wireshark should be PUT BACK!
Just like in the other 6 released of Fedora....

> propose a patch that makes it a <default> in whatever group
> it's in.  The compose tools will pick it up.  But as mentioned, the size and
> dep difference is pretty big, may overflow the Live images.
What?? Please... I really don't have time to jump through
these hoops... Please just it back and lets move on....

steved.