What happen to Wireshark?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed May 23 18:33:48 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 13:45:39 Steve Dickson wrote:
> > What changes is that we're not including every package
> > known to man on the Fedora spin.
>
> I don't understand this...

Fedora is now the combination of Core + Extras.  That's an enormous amount of
packages.  Instead of shoving 2+ DVDs down everybody's throat for our
installer, we've instead narrowed the amount of packages we put on the media.
Instead of 'every package in core is on the media' we now have targetted
selections of packages on the media, and the ability to enable a repo of all
packages at install time to gain access to things not on the media.

> > If you feel that strongly that Wireshark should be used,
>
> I feel strongly that Wireshark should be PUT BACK!
> Just like in the other 6 released of Fedora....
>
> > propose a patch that makes it a <default> in whatever group
> > it's in.  The compose tools will pick it up.  But as mentioned, the size
> > and dep difference is pretty big, may overflow the Live images.
>
> What?? Please... I really don't have time to jump through
> these hoops... Please just it back and lets move on....

Given that it hasn't been "there" for the previous Fedora 7 test releases,
adding it now may cause ripple effects with things like the LiveCD size.  I'm
discussing it with other releng folks right now.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora