iwl3945 status in fedora7

Deependra Shekhawat jeevanullas at gmail.com
Thu May 24 13:13:47 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 5/24/07, Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:

> Deependra Shekhawat wrote:
>
> > I think iwlwifi atm is not the right candidate to be in the kernel it
> > really
> > doesn't work for me. I have lenovo 3000N100 laptop and ipw3945 with
> source
> > compilation works great for me.
>
> Well, some points
>
> - yeah it is not stable here either.  But -->
>
> - other folks are getting better results.  This laptop stays up with
> wireless for up to 48 hrs with current rawhide kernels before losing
> association and doing the 100% CPU modprobe -r thing forcing the need of
> a reboot.  Other folks with a shutdown in the evening and boot in the
> morning pattern might not even see the problem much.

Well i usually run my laptop on wireless for 3-4 days. This would kill me.

- ipw3945 is not an option AIUI because the "regulatory daemon" is not
> licensed in a way that is compatible with Fedora (somehow the closed
> source firmware is but I guess that devil-supping spoon is long enough)

Yes I know that ipw3945 can never make it's way into Fedora because of this.
And that's why intel guys focus on iwlwifi much.

- Intel are submitting the iwlwifi/iwl3945 stuff to linux-wireless at
> the moment and it is getting some serious iterative external review now.
> It'll probably be accepted soon and that will improve the previous
> process (handing patchbombs to Linville apparently) somewhat.  The Intel
> folks seem to be continuing to work hard on it too -- so all the signs
> are that it will continue to improve in the coming months.  Therefore
> because of the importance of wireless to laptop users, and the number of
> people with 3945s, it is probably a good choice to accept to ship FC7
> with a mostly working iwlwifi that will do something reasonable out of
> the box for many people, and expect to see it improve over the update
> kernels shipped during FC7 lifetime.  Otherwise the choice is to ship
> nothing, not even mostly-working support, for a large number of laptop
> users.

I think it's not stable for F7. Maybe for F8. And one more thing I would
like to ask. If I have mac80211 subsystem inside my kernel with iwl3945 and
I also use ipw3945 with it's ieee80211 subsystem (which works for me) will
it gives any harms ?

Thanks

-Andy

> --