What's with Nautilus?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Fri May 25 11:31:38 UTC 2007

J French wrote:
> Next up - Nautilus again: I do A LOT of development in quite a few
> different languages. If I try to just double click, for instance, an sql
> dump, I get errors like "this is a VHDL document and requires that
> extension". Or, if I open a php script that happens to contain only
> HTML, I get "this looks like HTML rather than PHP". Why does Nautilus
> care? These are raw text files, which gedit is perfectly capable of
> handling. In fact, should you attempt to open a binary file through
> gedit (the only time this should matter), gedit will kindly tell you as
> much. Am I really expected to go through everyone's files and assign the
> extensions Nautilus expects just to get around having to go Open With
> and, sometimes even have to choose Text Editor from "Other
> Applications"? I can understand this behavior for binary files, but
> that's not what I'm talking about here.
Also, gedit will reject many of the text config file in /etc/** I think
because file provides the type incorrectly.

I have definitely noticed this annoyance in fedora 6.

How can I {or better we=fedora} make Gedit the default for pure text
files whenever there is not a more specific handler ?
How can we make right-click "Open in gedit" available on every file ?
How can we make right-click "Open in ghex" available on every file ?
How can we make gedit open files that might contain some stray non-text
characters, but are essentially text files ?
I can understand code has been tidied up to not allow what you could
previously do, but these were very useful time-saving features.

DaveT.