mdraid and hpa upgrade issues

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Fri May 25 14:24:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 09:44:09AM -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Personally, I'd rather see us respect the hpa whenever we can. Just
> seems like the correct thing to do. Then again, it sounds like the only
> case where its really necessary, the bios hard-codes it anyhow...

Its a real PITA to answer that. HPA is uses for

1. Hiding Windoze recovery partitions	(depends on the user what is "right")
2. Clipping disks to work around old BIOSen (want to remove)
3. Hiding suspend partitions (generally want to keep it on)
4. Clipping odd sector count disks to even sizes (want to keep on)

and more..