can fedora has the animation grub like suse?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sun May 27 12:33:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 14:17 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Mer 23 mai 2007 13:54, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 16:39 +0800, Ken YANG wrote:
> >> as we see, suse 10.2 has the animation grub, it looks good.
> >>
> >> can fedora has this kind of grub?
> >>

> > We (the desktop team) hope to get rid of the grub menu in the default
> > boot sequence instead of making it nicer. See
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBetterStartup
>
> Timeout = 0 is a very very bad idea. That would make hitting grub (and
> booting anything but the default) very difficult. Screens do not
> clear/change mode instanteanously. I've never seen the first few
> seconds of the current timeout displayed on any system.
>
> Give some time for people to react. There's nothing more annoying for
> a user that a key which needs to be pressed durring a minuscule time
> window for stuff to happen.
>
> --
> Nicolas Mailhot

/+1

big-screen LCDs and older CRTs tend to have a noticeable input lag (or
in the cast of CRT, slow mode switch) making virtually impossible to
control grub if timeout <= 3-4 seconds.
We should not forget that a lot of Fedora users dual boot between Linux
and Windows - which makes them the first to get hit if grub goes
zero-wait.

- Gilboa