can fedora has the animation grub like suse?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon May 28 17:42:22 UTC 2007

On 5/28/07, Mail List <lists at sapience.com> wrote:
>    Being able to easiy go back to a previous kernel if the new one becomes
> unbootable is certainly important - that is obviously something that must be
> doable (without booting dvd and editing the timeout) - is it? I assume so.

I dont think anyone is suggesting taking away the ability to switch.
The question here is how to best present the ability so that it
doesn't get in the way of the designed for use case.

I think its perfectly reasonable to look into dropping the
presentation of the boot menu by default and replacing it with a
combination of hot key at boot , some discoverable default in-distro
config tool which lets you turn the menu back on, some documentation,
and some failover logic which knows to bring up the boot menu if a
boot failure was detected on last boot.

Hell... i say make the automated logic bring up the boot menu if a new
entry was added to the grub menu since last boot. So when you get a
new kernel, and you reboot you get a visual cue that something
significant has changed with regard to the boot.  That might help in
discoverability for the average user.  What we can't do, is just rely
on a hot key to replace the current presentation, because the hot key
is not discoverable all by itself.

-jef