A couple of serious questions

Otto Rey otto_rey at yahoo.com.ar
Tue May 29 20:43:22 UTC 2007

+1

----- Mensaje original ----
De: Anuj Verma (Kevin) <kevin.verma at gmail.com>
Para: fedora-devel-list at redhat.com
Enviado: martes 29 de mayo de 2007, 16:57:24
Asunto: Re: A couple of serious questions

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:42:53 +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:

> Jane Dogalt <jdogalt at yahoo.com> writes:
>> I for one really like the idea, with one extra caveat- Make sure there
>> is also a good batch/commandline (read: scriptable) backend in addition
>> to one or more GUI backends, and possibly a curses-ish text based one
>> as well.  (but my focus is on being able to easily control any
>> functionality from a bash script).
>
> +1
>
> This is the point which should be stressed a lot -- I mean, still the
> main customers of RH are on server side and inability to use some tools
> without installing gnome (ehm, ehm, gnome-power-manager) seriously
> hurts. I know this is fedora list, but still there are some people who
> use Fedora-based distros on servers, right?
>
> Best,
>
> Matej

+1

Yes, lot of people seems to be using Fedora for servers. I agree the
problem of config tools has to be re-approached. Distinction between
backend and front-ends is desired.

I have my own lame view how this should be approached, I regret if some
might not agree because I am just a tech guy I hope someone else can
improve on it.

+ s-c-* tools have been done very well over the years
+ the development of s-c-* further should consider a backend and
frontends in:
-> Gnome
-> KDE/Qt
-> NCurses
-> Web?

* More or less we have discussed, but web frontend is what I cite as more
important. Once we have a backend in place, building a web based front
end is always quick and easy, that also helps speed up development and
testing. I believe there are various other advantages of such a
development trend for s-c-*

* I dully notice it might not be appropriate for every s-c-* tool to have
a web front-end, maybe someone else can help share their vision on this
point.

* This will also require a daemon to host s-c-* tools on a Fedora host,
maybe something can be figured out ?

This all might sound like webmin kind of approach but I consider s-c-*
tools have worked very well and neat than webmin, besides that, fresh
ideas can do better. I had this in mind for a long while and I just felt
sharing it across on this thread.

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!