For your consideration: Secondary Architectures in Fedora

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed May 30 13:28:00 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 09:25:54 Chris Lumens wrote:
> > 4) Red Hat/Fedora doesn't have any Alphas around?
>
> Well, a lot of us have one collecting dust in the closet (or acting as
> a stand for a Power Mac...) but I don't know that RH itself has any
> Alphas.

And Red Hat shouldn't be the de-facto provider of your secondary hardware.
Part of the point here is that if we're going ot have these arches, there is
going to need to be a community keeping them going.  The work and burden
shouldn't always fall back on Red Hat as it has in the past.  We don't want
to be like the other distros that are pooping out arch support just so that
they can list something else on their webpage.  If we're going to have an
arch, it needs to be a viable and active community who will be self
sufficient.  We're providing the tools and software infrastructure to make
their arch happen, but they need to bring people and machines.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora