For your consideration: Secondary Architectures in Fedora

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed May 30 17:24:05 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 13:17:17 David Woodhouse wrote:
> And it wouldn't need to be. I think I still haven't quite communicated
> what I mean.
>
> 1. A build is submitted.
> 2. It fails on some architecture.
> 3. All other architectures run to completion. The packages can be
>    fetched from koji immediately, and perhaps even used for building
>    new dependent packages¹.
> 4. The build is not complete (or 'committed') until all architectures
>    for which it was _attempting_ to build are spoken for -- either with
>    a successful build, _or_ a 'retrospective ExcludeArch' bug being
>    filed (and put in the specfile).

So why can't this all be done automagically?  Upstream Fedora koji gets a
build request.  It is built, and it succeeds.  This triggers secondary arch
koji instances to build the same cvs url.  If the build fails, auto file a
bug with appropriate blockers/trackers.  Upstream keeps going unhindered,
arch team looks into it with package maintainer.

> ¹ elsewhere, I spoke of improving the way we handle dependent builds
> like bluez-libs and bluez-utils, by letting the packager submit them
> simultaneously rather than having to wait for one to complete before
> submitting the next. Each koji instance would build the dependent
> package(s) as soon as the original package was ready. And of course the
> dependent builds could not 'commit' before the original.

koji chain-build --help  Of course this doesn't necessarily work in the
updates scenario where we don't auto-populate the buildroot with any just
built package.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora