For your consideration: Secondary Architectures in Fedora

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed May 30 18:35:16 UTC 2007

> On Wednesday 30 May 2007 13:17:17 David Woodhouse wrote:
> > And it wouldn't need to be. I think I still haven't quite communicated
> > what I mean.
> >
> > 1. A build is submitted.
> > 2. It fails on some architecture.
> > 3. All other architectures run to completion. The packages can be
> >    fetched from koji immediately, and perhaps even used for building
> >    new dependent packages¹.
> > 4. The build is not complete (or 'committed') until all architectures
> >    for which it was _attempting_ to build are spoken for -- either with
> >    a successful build, _or_ a 'retrospective ExcludeArch' bug being
> >    filed (and put in the specfile).
>
> So why can't this all be done automagically?  Upstream Fedora koji gets a
> build request.  It is built, and it succeeds.  This triggers secondary arch
> koji instances to build the same cvs url.  If the build fails, auto file a
> bug with appropriate blockers/trackers.  Upstream keeps going unhindered,
> arch team looks into it with package maintainer.

I'm concerned that this will be difficult to code correctly,
specifically the "automagic bug filing". The first failure is easy, but
what if I thought I fixed it, but hadn't. It files a new bug. Rinse,
repeat, bloat bugzilla and/or spend time chasing down dupes.

I could be wrong about that though.

The very specific logic path is this:

1. A build is submitted.
2. Primary architectures run. If any primary architecture fails, it
stops.
3. When all primary architectures pass, then the build is sent to all
secondary architectures.
4. Each secondary architecture runs to completion. Failures by any
secondary architecture do not affect other secondary architectures.
5. Secondary architectures which failed make a lot of noise. (This is
where automagic bug filing occurs, emailing architecture teams, etc).

~spot