Plan for tomorrows (20070531) FESCO meeting

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Wed May 30 19:39:53 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> Is this really FESCO material though?  Isn't this just more general usage
> questions?  (honestly these systems seem more suited for a platform with less
> frequent releases, like RHEL or CentOS).
I went that route for a while until I got fed up with the lack of new
hardware support.  eg: spent two weeks just getting a gigabit nic card
working properly under CentOS.  Had other issues with plugging in new
usb devices.  I just got tired of it all so I went with Fedora and
instantly got rid of all those problems.  And yes I know the Fedora is
more on the bleeding edge but I really haven't had any major
difficulties despite that.  I would rather spend my time working out
something on the bleeding edge than fighting the fact that you cannot
install any new hardware from your local compusa on some of these
so-called 'stable' distros.  Basically I was finding that unless you
were good at hunting up old hardware on ebay or in a flea market that
you were SOL with these 'stable' distros.

> Upgrading with yum is mostly OK, there are a few gotchas regarding some
> changes that have gone into the kernel.

"mostly" - I don't like this word.  Need better word like "always".
> Upgrading from i386 to x86_64 is going to be a MUCH more difficult task.
>
> I'm jut not sure what you're looking for out of FESCO on this.

Is not FESCO a technical strategy and policy making group giving
leadership to Fedora?  I think it should fall within this area to say
that there must be a process whereby, for instance, i386 to x86_64
upgrade is necessary/required and then seek resources to make it happen.

my 2c.