Plan for tomorrows (20070531) FESCO meeting

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Thu May 31 01:53:07 UTC 2007

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 14:29 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
>
>> I just joined this list because the extras list is no longer and it said
>> this is where you should make suggestions.
>>
>> For FESCO meeting:
>>    I do not know where things stand with regard to being able to perform
>> an upgrade installation from FC6 to FC7 but for me this is very  very
>> important.  I have a lot of FC6 servers where I have configured
>> literally over a hundred packages.  The only way that I would be able to
>> migrate these servers to FC7 is by a yum (or other tool) upgrade path.
>> A complete reinstall is out of the question.  And if that is necessary
>> my servers will be stuck on FC6 forever.  Also I have other servers that
>> I want to migrate to new 64-bit architecture from 32-bit.  I have not
>> found a documented, automated way in which I can do this so that all the
>> 32-bit packages are replaced with their 64-bit counterparts.  These are
>> some things that I would like to see discussed.
>>

> I see Jesse has addressed some of this but one other thing to keep in
> mind when writing a draft for FESCo is to explain why the upgrade must
> be a yum upgrade vs anaconda upgrade.

Preferable would be a non-GUI upgrade path that could be performed
remotely and has the ability to restart where it left off if something
were to interrupt the process.  I would not like to experience the
broken updates problem we had with i586 kernel and others during FC6
where I ended up with a bunch of duplicated packages after the update
process was restarted and completed.