Plan for tomorrows (20070531) FESCO meeting

J French me at semitekie.com
Thu May 31 04:33:22 UTC 2007

Brian Pepple wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please find below the list of topics that are likely to come up in the
> next FESCo meeting that is scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday at 17:00 UTC
> in #fedora-meeting on irc.freenode.org:
>
> /topic FESCO-Meeting -- MISC -- Package Database - abadger1999
>
> /topic FESCO-Meeting -- MISC -- F7
>
> /topic FESCO-Meeting -- linking ipsvd statically against dietlibc --
> requested by Patrice Dumas -
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2007-May/msg00980.html
>
> /topic FESCO-Meeting -- statically link libgcrypt into gaim-otr --
> requested by Paul Wouters -
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2007-February/msg00425.html
>
> /topic FESCO-Meeting -- MISC -- Broken Upgrades paths - jwb
>
> /topic FESCO-Meeting -- MISC -- Policies that need updating for merge?
> -- http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Policy
>
> /topic FESCo meeting -- Free discussion around Fedora
>
> You want something to be discussed? Send a note to the list in reply to
> this mail and I'll add it to the schedule (I can't promise we will get
> to it tomorrow, but we'll most likely will if we don't run out of time).
> You can also propose topics in the meeting while it is in the "Free
> discussion around Fedora" phase.
>
> If your name/nick is on above list please update the status on the
> Extras schedule pages in the wiki ahead of the meeting. That way all the
> other FESCo members and interested contributors know what up ahead of
> the meeting. And we will avoid long delays in the meeting -- those often
> arise if someone describes the recent happenings on a topic directly in
> the meeting while all the others have to wait for his slow typing...
>
> Thanks,
> /B

* Some ridiculous dependencies still exist. For instance, just because I
want a Gnome desktop does not mean that I even have the capabilities to
burn CDs and/or DVDs, so why have packages for that? I also happen to
hate Evolution with a passion (I use Thunderbird), but Gnome is somehow
still dependent upon this as well (last I checked) so I have to keep it
around. There are others.

* You can't seriously be considering actually releasing Fedora 7 on
schedule! Are you trying to be like Microsoft? I had to roll back 2
systems here because X crashes upon closing tabs in Firefox and upon
switching VTs. I looked at the bug for the Firefox one and it's listed
as "medium severity". Come on now, medium? I was anything but mediumly
angry when I lost all of the web sites I had open, a few text documents
in gedit. And yes, I do save often, but that's beside the point.
Further, the Nautilus issues with random crashes and an inability to
delete files mounted on NFS drives are rediculous. These are all issues
that NEED to be fixed or your reputation is going to go down the
crapper. I don't care how "pretty" you make the desktop, if it doesn't
work for more than 15 minutes at a time, it isn't worth squat to me.
I've filed or participated on bugs for all of these issues.

* What ever happened to following the LFS standards as I remember seeing
as long ago as FC3? The main one here being a move of default
documentroot and databases to /srv where they belong? Yes, I understand
people will be unfamiliar with it at first, but there's been quite a bit
of discussion regarding ways to handle this. This isn't really something
enough to stop a rollout, but it has been "under advisement" for years
now. As it is, if I want to , for instance, put my MySQL databases under
/srv where they belong, I have to go through all sorts of BS.

That's all I've got right now. I think Fedora 8 should be all about
cleaning up the packages and stabilizing the OS.

-Jeremy