Fedora 8 Schedule

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu May 31 18:14:10 UTC 2007

On Thursday 31 May 2007 14:02:42 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> This is not just "the latest KDE", this is a new major version which has
> been under development for years and which everyone is waiting for. The
> current schedule means we'll be forced to either ship a release candidate
> or do some really ugly parallel-installability hacks (or skip KDE 4 for F8
> altogether and only have it 6 months late). It's hard enough to ship
> compatibility kdelibs, shipping both versions of the entire desktop is
> worse.

We've done RCs in the past if the project is in full bugfix mode, updating to
the final releases shortly after a Fedora release.

> As for upstream projects adapting to Fedora's schedule, why would they
> adapt to Fedora's schedule rather than the one of the zillion other distros
> around? This is never going to work in that direction.

It's happened in the past.  Gnome's schedule used to be tightly tied to the
Red Hat Linux release schedule.  With Fedora we've drifted around so much
that it's hard to pin to a Fedora release.  However if we get more stable
with our release cycle again it will make it easier for upstreams to take
into account a Fedora release as part of their release schedules.

> And as for the regular release part, don't the schedules always slip
> anyway?

Schedules slipped in the past largely for getting features in or fixing half
baked features that were rushed in, largely due to uncertainty as to when the
next release will be out.  With a stable schedule we can be much more firm
about dropping features and punting them to next release, minimizing the
effect of half baked stuff on our schedule.

Slips happen yes, but we're also going to be careful to not allow a slip in
one release to effect the schedule of the next release, again keeping things
predictable.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora