Fedora 8 Schedule

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu May 31 18:40:29 UTC 2007

> So this has popped up now:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/8/Schedule

A couple of things...  first being that this is just a draft/preliminary
version.

> I don't like this in the least: not only is this only a 5 month schedule, not
> the usual 6,

So, the five instead of six does have its downsides, but the idea is
that we want to get back to where we were being better with hitting our
release date targets.  For a variety of reasons, we've gotten really bad
about that.  So it's time to get back on the horse so to speak.  The
obvious question then is "well, then why not do six months this time".
And the reason is the end of year holidays.  6 months would basically be
December 1st.  And then, if you have _any_ slippage at all, you're
slipping a lot.  Because you hit all of those December holidays and then
are into the middle of January before people are actually working
again ;)  So, if we shoot for Halloween, there's a little bit of cushion
for the case of a need to slip without a horrible domino effect.

The other part here is that the idea is that we keep to the consistent
schedule if a release slips.  F7 was _supposed_ to be out the end of
April; we slipped for the merge.  But given what we're trying for, that
(in the future) wouldn't have any impact on the n+1 schedule.  This just
gives us an opportunity to get a running start with that being the
method to our madness.

Jeremy