Meaningless name (was: Re: rpms/xchat/devel ...)

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Thu May 31 22:03:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 17:26 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 16:15 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > > Yes, IRC is not a very good menu item either, "IRC client" would be a
> > > bit better, except you really don't want "clients" in the menus. But I
> > > stand by my claim that X-Chat is totally meaningless to regular users.
> >
> > I'm a regular user.
>
> Umm, self-declared regular users don't count :-)

If you're referring to migrating Windows users, even they realize there
is more than one program to accomplish the same task.  Think of AIM,
Trillian, ICQ, blah blah blah.  Or McAfee vs. Symantec.  Or IE vs.
Firefox.  Hell, even Microsoft doesn't label IE as "Web browser" (which
is another bogosity we do but one thing at a time).

I still think name recognition in the menus is a good idea.

josh