What's the current status of mp3-licensing issues?

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Nov 1 13:29:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 09:04 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 13:39 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> >  moreover GPL
> > license also requires a written non-limiting patent grant or we can't
> > include GPL software that infringes patents on regions that enforce
> > patents on software.
>
> This statement is wrong and false. Please consult legal and get
> corrected.

>From GPLv2:

"If you cannot distribute so as to satisfy simultaneously your
obligations under this License and any other pertinent obligations, then
as a consequence you may not distribute the Program at all. For example,
if a patent license would not permit royalty-free redistribution of the
Program by all those who receive copies directly or indirectly through
you, then the only way you could satisfy both it and this License would
be to refrain entirely from distribution of the Program."

~spot