Package EVR problems in Fedora 2007-10-31

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Fri Nov 2 09:36:01 UTC 2007

On Do November 1 2007, Douglas E. Warner wrote:

> My vote would be to *not* ignore packages that are in updates-testing; this
> is a real upgrade path problem for end-users, despite whether the packages
> will be available "soon".

Imho it should be valid to have a package in F7 updates-testing with a higher
nevr than in F8. Afaik targets updates-testing at experienced users who are
willing to test packages and should be able to handle situations, where there
is no upgrade path to the next stable release. Otherwise it would be very
annoying to get an update into the oldest supported Fedora release. E.g. one
updates a package foo for devel, F8 and F7:

1) build the package for devel, F8, F7, create update announcements for F8 and
F7.
2) Request push to testing for F8
[wait]
3) Request push to stable for F8
[wait]
4) Request push to testing for F7
[wait]
5) Request push to stable for F7

This doubles the work for every maintainer to get an update for one package
because one has to login twice as much into bodhi.

Regards,
Till