Dropping Base X group? [Was: Re: KDE logout options with F8]

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Sun Nov 4 23:32:40 UTC 2007

On 2007-10-31, 18:49 GMT, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> I have suggested at least 2 technical solutions, none of which
> needs any changes to Anaconda:

May add one more possible solution: what about dropping Base
X group from anaconda altogether and why not to treat it as
a library, which is required by another components (do we have
a group for glibc)?

By reading the most of the previous messages (and there was a lot
of them), it seems to me that actually nobody wants „Base X“
group for its own sake. Either there are people who want „Plain
old X as seen in Project Athena many years ago“ (BTW, Project
Athena @ MIT switched to Gnome as default) or some lightweight
window manager (which one?). IMHO, the answer to the first
request is that whoever wants it is such a weirdo, that he should
be required to install appropriate packages just via yum (maybe
with package xorg-x11-plain-old-environment or something) and
doesn't deserve a place in anaconda.

The other group is much more interesting. I really don't like
a tendency of Fedora moving with its system requirements
somewhere close to the one of Windows Vista (yes, we would have
to fix anaconda first, but that's another issue, let's keep this
X specific). It would be nice if people who are interested in
this created some group of packages (with their own desktop
manager? -- is there anything else than [gkx]dm?) so that we
could fourth environment (even though this would be probably very
virtual not consisting from packages originally intended to be
part of one environment) besides Gnome, KDE, and XFCE. Are there
any friends of WindowMaker around here (that would be nice for
higher degree of compatibility with Mac OS X)? Or IceWM?

On xdm theme -- if anybody is interested in this; well,
xorg-x11-xdm src.rpm is 400k -- it shouldn't be unfathomable for
interested geek to fix it and maintain it (and I would be glad to
meet you, because xdm bugs in bugzilla are always for me, desktop
team bugmaster, kind of nightmare).

What do you think?

Matěj