Inaccessible Post-GDM But Pre-Desktop Dialogs

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Nov 5 16:21:34 UTC 2007

There is at least one potential dialog that breaks accessibility after a
user logs in, but before Orca (or Gok) loads. I became aware of this one
demonstrating Orca in Italian to a CompSci professor at a recont F/OSS
symposium in Florence.

The dialog we came across advises of available updates. It does not talk
(in my case). So, it's an accessibility show-stopper.

Generically speaking, all such potential pop-ups need to be vetted for
accessibility. What about the one that says: "you're not connected to
the Internet," for instance?

Of course, one might also ask why an ordinary user is being prompted for
sysadmin tasks. In the current instance, that's seems inappropriate,
imho, though the generic problem remains.

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.202.595.7777;	sip:janina at a11y.org

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina at a11y.org
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org