Inaccessible Post-GDM But Pre-Desktop Dialogs

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Nov 5 16:51:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 11:21 -0500, Janina Sajka wrote:
> There is at least one potential dialog that breaks accessibility after a
> user logs in, but before Orca (or Gok) loads. I became aware of this one
> demonstrating Orca in Italian to a CompSci professor at a recont F/OSS
> symposium in Florence.
>
> The dialog we came across advises of available updates. It does not talk
> (in my case). So, it's an accessibility show-stopper.
>
> Generically speaking, all such potential pop-ups need to be vetted for
> accessibility. What about the one that says: "you're not connected to
> the Internet," for instance?

They're actually from the same source.  The problem here is that things
in the notification area (puplet, nm-applet, etc) are all started by
gnome-session as is the panel, orca, etc.  If one of the notification
area applets wants to show a notification bubble, they just do a
libnotify call.  But there's no way to ensure that the panel is up (and
thus that their icon is actually visible) much less if other things like
a11y technologies are running.

We really need a way to serialize some of this.  Unfortunately, that'll
end up coming at the cost of a (slightly) slower login time

Jeremy