F9 Feature Process

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 15:05:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 15:38:14 +0100
Christopher Aillon <caillon at redhat.com> wrote:

> Before we ask this question, first ask what do we gain vs. lose from
> people updating the page every two weeks?  Do we gain anything?  Not
> much, really.  We get a false sense of security that it will get done
> on time or it won't get done on time.  A feature can get lots of work
> early on and then the maintainer(s) go AWOL and leave it at 70%.  Or
> there can be no updates for a long while as they are doing other
> things and then it gets done within the final two weeks before freeze.
>
> And we lose engineering time from having to update the page.  For
> some of our contributors who are not paid to work on Fedora, this
> could be a non-insignificant portion of the time they can allot to
> Fedora.
>
> Is it really worth getting people to update their feature page every
> two weeks?  I'd argue it's much better to start looking for updates
> in the week or two prior to the freeze as those will be more
> meaningful.  We should also encourage people to update their page
> regularly (or when their feature is completed), but I'm not convinced
> that enforcing this is a good idea.

I agree that "every two weeks" seems arbitrary.  However we could time
getting updates a week or so before the Alpha, before the Beta, and
obviously more updates as we get nearer the final freeze.

Also it should be made known that we can do special snapshot live and
dvd spins of Rawhide at any point when it would make sense for a
Feature.  If a Feature has hit a significant milestone but it is still
too far away from either Alpha/Beta/rc's or one of the weekly snapshot
attempts after Beta, we can create a snapshot and highlight the Feature
in question.

--
Jesse Keating