Fedora 9 Feature suggestion - The start menu and caching

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 21:43:25 UTC 2007

Mark wrote:
> What would be best with the start menu:
> - During boot the start menu and all it's icons (actually all the
> default icons) should be cached so that the start menu pops up right
> away when you click on it and all the icons are in place and vissible.

Seems like it would be better if gnome itself did this precaching when
it starts - not the boot process.  (maybe that's what you meant).  I
don't know if gnome does its own caching of the icons after the first
read, or if it reads the files each time you click and hopes for OS
caching?  I agree though, waiting for the first click to go drag the
icons off the disk is painful.

> Now about the caching itself.
> Wouldn't it be best to precache all the applications that are gonna be
> started anyway? like:
> - gome-desktop
> - gnoma-panel
> - the default gnome applets

that's called "readahead" right?  We have the infrastructure, but I
think it needs some love.  It's hard to keep the file list up to date,
and when it's wrong, it hurts more than it helps...

-Eric