common-lisp-controller for Fedora

Anthony Green green at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 06:52:33 UTC 2007

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Anthony Green <green <at> redhat.com> writes:
>> I've created a draft Feature page on the wiki to copy Debian's
>> common-lisp-controller package and methodology for installing Common
>> Lisp implementations and libraries.
>
> How does this fit together with natively-compiled implementations like gcl?

It is perfectly compatible.

> Does this imply radically changing them to work more like an interpreter and
> load natively-compiled versions as shared libraries like what was done to GCJ?

No.

> If it does, who is going to do the work? And is this really a good idea? For
> what it's worth, Maxima seems to cope just fine with the current
> implementation.

Sure, Maxima doesn't depend on pre-installed libraries of lisp code.

What's at issue is:

  - Where to the library sources get installed?
  - Where do the implementation dependent fasl and/or other binary files
get installed?
  - How do we manage fasl updates when a lisp implementation changes?
  - How do they all hook into asdf or similar
  - How do we scale to include the hundreds of Common Lisp libraries
that gentoo and others package?
  - etc etc etc

AG