When will be CVS replaced by modern version control system?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 18:48:48 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 18:40 +0100, Till Maas wrote:
>> On Mi November 7 2007, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
>>
>>> Modern vcs requires additional space for this operation.
>> When I try to emulate this with CVS, I also need the additional space.
> Right _you_ would have to have _one_ modified source tree in parallel if
> _you_ would want to do this. These so called modern VCS force you to do
> so. Also, with svn etc. you have the whole history bloating and
> polluting your checkout (Now try recursively grepping a deep source-tree
> with a long history. Try gcc's (svn) source-tree to experience what I am
> referring to).

svn just keeps two copies around.  working tree and pristine last checkout.

True distributed VCS keeps all history around.  However, they also
typically keep the history in a compressed or other binary form so the
problem you have with recursive grep is not nearly so bad in those systems.

Also, some VCS's (for instance, bazaar) do differentiate between
repositories and working trees/branches and checkouts.  So "bzr checkout
--lightweight" will get you a CVS-like checkout without history.

-Toshio