When will be CVS replaced by modern version control system?

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu Nov 8 21:21:56 UTC 2007

On Do November 8 2007, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 18:40 +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> > On Mi November 7 2007, Andy Shevchenko wrote:

> > > And second, I doubt in usefull status of this feature. IMHO, in
> > > practice (another words 'very often') you need to make diff between
> > > vcs' *.spec and current. You just make copy *.spec to *.spec.orig and
> > > use simple diff command.
> >
> > How can I do this when I have uncommited changes in the spec, but there
> > is a newer version in the repository?
>
> How is that a problem with CVS? With CVS you typically work on a
> checkout, so it's up to you how to handle mergers.

Where do I get the specfile that I could copy to .spec.orig to create a diff
in this case? E.g. following the described procedure:

cvs commit && cp -a *.spec *.spec.orig
vim *.spec
cvs up *.spec
[now changes from the repository are merged]

How can I now do a diff that shows the changes between my working copy and the
contents of the repository?

Regards,
Till