When will be CVS replaced by modern version control system?

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 08:23:40 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 00:25 +0100, Karel Zak wrote:

>  * __unfortunately__, we don't maintain source code in our VCS! We use
>    it for *.patch files + commit messages. It means you can't use all
>    modern features -- just because GIT, Hg, ... are designed for work
>    with source code (unlike Quilt, StGIT).
That's because the pkgs CVS tree purpose is very different. And I think
that CVS is pretty good and adequate tool for this purpose. To utilize
these wonderful features of DVCSs we'd probably just need some set of
scripts which would make interaction with the pkgs CVS and your prefered
local DVCS repository easy and automated. Such as importing an upstream
tarball into your DVCS, pulling patches from pkgs CVS and rebasing them.
Exporting these rebased patches into pkgs CVS and so on.

The problems, the reasons why such script do not exist yet, here are
many - people having different prefered DVCS with different feature
sets, different prefered workflow when rebasing, etc. etc.

How we can obtain such scripts? Only when some developer who already
uses a DVCS interacting with the pkgs CVS tree writes them and publishes
them. Of course they would be useful only to people who use the same
DVCS and have similar workflow.
--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb