Possible Replacements for the system-config-* utilities?

Thomas Woerner twoerner at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 12:36:24 UTC 2007

Kelly Miller wrote:
> Well, now that F8 is approaching release, I wanted to bring up the
> possibility of updating the configuration utilities again.  I'd be
> willing to work on such a project (fixing the frontend problems so the
> utilities could be used without X, etc.), but I'm not entirely
> familiar with all the options covered by the utilities (for example,
> I've never used the cluster management or bootloader editor systems,
> and I'm not completely familiar with all of the configuration files
> here).  First of all, is there a preferred language for development
> like this?  I've actually done very little to no Python development
> (though I've done development in similar RAD languages like Ruby, Java
> and C# so I'm familiar with the general concepts), but I'll give it a
> shot in Python if that's preferred.  Secondly, is there a decent
> resource for covering some of the configuration files required by the
> programs?

Hello Kelly,

There is already work ongoing. The project name is system-config. If you
want to know more about this, please have a look at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SystemConfig. Yet, the wiki-pages are not
complete, but they should reflect the desired way to go.

Currently there is some review going on for the existing tools
altogether with building up the base classes and functions for the new
framework (in an early stage). A big problem is the text interface,
because there is no ui library, which can be used as a drop-in without
big modifications in the ui itself and the config tools, that provides
the needed widgets and functionality.

As there is lots of work to do, every helping hand is welcome.

There will be an own email list shortly. You can also join the irc
channel #system-config on irc.freenode.net. If you are interested in
participating in this project, feel free to contact us in the irc channel.

Thanks,
Thomas