Possible Replacements for the system-config-* utilities?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 17:13:58 UTC 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 5:08 AM, Nils Philippsen <nphilipp at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 11:48 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 09:55:08AM -0500, Kelly Miller wrote:
> > > here).  First of all, is there a preferred language for development
> > > like this?  I've actually done very little to no Python development
> >
> > Almost certainly Python.
> >
> > The key reason these utilties need rewriting is to separate the user
>
> They don't need rewriting, they need refactoring. There's too much logic
> in the tools already to be able to make throwing it all away and
> beginning from scratch feasible without breaking things. There's also a
> lot of wheel-reinvention in the tools as they are today, i.e. a
> potential for code consolidation between the tools.

Agreed. We don't have time to do them from scratch, other tools need
to be written:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SystemConfig/Missing

I would like to see, and I am willing to work on, all these tools
being able to function on remote machines via SSH. I can provide
details of my idea if anyone is interested.

( www.pembo13.com )