When will CVS be replaced by modern version control system?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Sat Nov 10 15:42:45 UTC 2007

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 14:10:38 +0100
Nils Philippsen <nphilipp at redhat.com> wrote:

> > a) quick operations by avoiding round-trips to a remote server if
> > not necessary
> > b) easy branching and merging
> > c) atomic operations
> > d) co-maintainers (or maintainer apprentices) wouldn't need commit
> > access to the main repository
> > e) ability to do embargoed stuff like security fixes before they're
> > public
>
> f) ability to rename things, especially handy for re-worked patches in
> our context

I don't disagree that those things are nice with DVCS.  What I question
is the amount of times they're necessary to warrant the extra
complexity of a DVCS thrown at every user.

And still I continue to hear just features of dvcs, but not applied to
a workflow for our Package vcs.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)