When will be CVS replaced by modern version control system?

Cristian Gafton gafton at gafton.net
Sun Nov 11 05:49:46 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 13:21 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:

> We've tried this in the past a couple of times.  The problem is we need
> someone that has these qualities:
>
> 1) A vision from developer to build system on how this is supposed to work.
> 2) Time to write up and convince others its the right way to go.
> 3) Time to proof of concept it and implement it
> 4) Time to work with the infrastructure team on a migration plan
> 5) A little bit of craziness.
>
> I hate CVS like the next guy, but it turns out converting to something
> else is a very large commitment.

Above and beyond the required development time, you need somebody
willing to push, shove, coerce, scream, threaten, scare and otherwise
will the new system into existence. I still hold in my mail archives a
bunch of nastygrams from back when the current setup was introduced,
some from the very folks who are very friendly to the system today...

I thought I'd drop in to mention that judging from the current size of
this thread, anyone who takes up "write up and convince others its the
right way to go" has a very, very hard task.

Cristian
--
Cristian Gafton
gafton at gafton.net