Automatic RPM provides for libraries

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Sun Nov 11 17:34:08 UTC 2007

Hi.

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 19:40:50 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote

> > Now, my experience so far was that the RPM file will (automagically)
> > Provide: libfoo.so.1
>
> rpm automatically provides the soname of the library (if I'm not
> wrong). It may happen (as a bug or on purpose) that libfoo has
> libfoo.so.1.0.0 as soname. In that case it is strange, however, to
> have the libfoo.so.1 file. Do you have a precise example?

Indeed, the library soname had changed between the two versions I
was looking at.

One current example is mcs (which is in Fedora, the currently built
version has a different soname from the version currently in CVS HEAD,
which I have not rebuilt yet, due to this problem)