License review for new itext version

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 23:17:12 UTC 2007

On 23/10/2007, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl wrote:
>

> > Is this an OSI-approved license? Does it make sense to grind it through
> > that process?
>
> The recommended OSI process is for those who wrote the license to send
> it for approval. We could ask FSF for a review however if that is not
> already done by Spot.

It seems that pdftk has been dropped. dead.package reads:

"The package pdftk was going to EOL, becouse it contains a modified
copy of iText. IText contains several licensing issue which caused,
that this package was going into EOL:"

This seems like an over-reaction. The contentious clause in the license reads:

"You acknowledge that Software is not designed,licensed or intended for use in
the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility."

This clause in no way restricts your freedom to use the software. You
can still use it in your home-built nuclear reactor if you wish. By
doing so, you're acknowldeging that the software wasn't designed to be
used in this way, and all liability is with you.

What are the other of the "several" issues with the license? Could the
ex-package maintainer offer a bit more explanation?

Cheers,
Jonathan.