Custom F8 builds and respins

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 13 03:34:33 UTC 2007

Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:

> I'm looking into producing a custom version of Fedora 8+, and I would
> appreciate some advice.
>
> My objectives are:
>
> . Provide a subset of the current F8 tree
> . Custom compiler optimisation of that full subset of packages

This might be a sore point for a custom spin.

> . New artwork
> . A hosted repo: ISOs, RPMS, SRPMs, devel, multi-arch
>
> I'm considering using the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) for
> building, and I already have a host for the repo, so all that remains is
> the details of the infrastructure.
>
> If I've read the Wiki correctly, what I need is:
>
> . A Fedora 8 Xen instance on EC2
> . Koji
> . bodhi
> . mash
> . The required subset of Fedora 8 sources (TBA)
> . The necessary compiler toolchains
> . The necessary buildrequires
>
> After I have a repo with all of the rebuilt packages, what would I then
> use to spin the ISOs? Just Revisor? Is that the recommended method, or
> is that just for end-users rather than distro maintainers?

You can use either Pungi or livecd-creator too. AFAIK, those are the
tools recommended by the release engineering team simply because that is
what they themselves use to produce Fedora releases. Assuming you are
aiming for a custom spin hosted by Fedora, regardless of the tools, the
deliverable is a kickstart file that we can run through the process. Refer

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/CustomSpins

I have a inclination about the kind of spin you are shooting for and
more details would be nice since I might be interested in participating.

Rahul