Fedora Rel-Eng Meeting Recap 2007-NOV-12

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 07:09:01 UTC 2007

Recap and full IRC transcript found here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/Meetings/2007-nov-12

Please make corrections and clarifications to the wiki page.

== Schedule Review ==
  * http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f9/f9-tasks-overview.html
  * Make sure no collisions with holidays
  * Next proposed FUDCon: January 11-13, 2008, at Red Hat HQ in Raleigh
     * http://gregdek.livejournal.com/17724.html
  * Need to have other teams review: FESCo, Docs, translation team, QA
  * Change Alpha Freeze to Jan. 15, Alpha release Jan. 24

== F9 Tasks & Targets ==
  * Fill out Trac tickets for things that need to get done
    * https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/rel-eng/
  * Python scripts that can take email as input and create Trac tickets
from them
    * use ''rel-eng at fedoraproject.org'' as Trac input.
DECISIONS:
   * continue move to Trac for task management
   * work toward turning rel-eng at fp.o into a Trac ticket gateway
   * create an invite only or otherwise moderated mailing list for
rel-eng discussion/voting

== Ideas for Goals for F9 Release ==
   * brainstorm before next week's meeting to figure out what we want to
do for this release outside the typical make bits show up stuff
     * send preferably by Friday so we can digest it over the weekend.
   * wwoods: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/Overview
   * notting
     * signing server
     * potentially the big multilib change--i need to get some stuff
written down for that
     * kill the buildroot overrides stuff
   * wwoods
     * bodhi depchecking!
     * PPC as the trailblazer secondary arch
   * f13
     * signing server
     * complete the s/development/rawhide/ changes.
     * post-build processing--running rpmlint and other such things.
     * jigdo support
     * dealing with rawhide late in the cycle so that we have two
nightly trees
     * composes in Colo for F9
   * warren
     * delta rpm and presto by default
  * jeremy
     * less involvement
     * need help spinning live images

== Fedora CD Releases ==
   * The board has asked that we produce split CD media once again.
   * Release Engineering has not fully agreed, though have it would be
possible
   * really just a matter of time and space, yes?
   * warren: can't upgrade with live images.
   * would increase number of test targets
   * affects on Release Engineering are more of the following:
     * compose time
     * validation time
     * sync time
     * disc space used

== Meeting Time ==
  * Going forward (starting with next week) we will meet at 1800 UTC
(1300 EST)

== Fedora 8 Jigdo Data from Fedora Unity ==
  * 600 downloads of the .jigdo file
  * 400 downloads of the CD1 template
     * thus so 200 or so users did not know where to get started with
jigdo or did not start yet.
     * thought to be useful to people that cannot do network installs
     * if we can look at what packages are on what CD and what CD other
than 1 is most popular that might make for some interesting analysis

== IRC Transcript ==